Welcome to my home in Cyberspace!

When you are a bit of a gypsy and not sure where the winds will blow you next, having a home in Cyberspace is a comfort. Glad you stopped by for a visit and hope you'll come by often!



Blog Archive

2023-04-24

THINKING ABOUT "What do they eat?"

Living as an "expat" in Asia, every day has its adventure. Every day there's something new. Even though for months I have been holed up in an apartment. It's post-pandemic but now I get to experience what others did of near-total isolation. My pandemic experience was frightening but I never worried about running out of food or companionship because even the little groceries were nearby and open.

We are all watching the tragedy playing out in Ukraine. I have never been near a war - never hope to be. I have none of the daring genes of reporters and soldiers who risk their lives to tell and live the stories. But I have been deeply moved by thoughts of people isolated by war - trapped in subways or basements of their homes, trying to survive the chaos.

The London blitz - the many examples of man's inhumanity to man - the bombings in Afghanistan, the tearing apart of Sudan today when the entire diplomatic community had to be evacuated by special forces. 

And it all comes close to me when I think, "What do they eat?"

What I think about most, of course, is what is most relevant to me. I have been living for the last 10 months on a pretty remote university campus. There are none of the accustomed services: no taxis, no grab. No Food Panda or any other delivery. The campus itself is - most of the time - the quietest place I can recall living. 

My cupboard is getting bare. Just a few things left in the fridge. I need to get a hold of my friend who drives to take me shopping.

And I think about what I truly need. What can I get by on for another day or two or three? I have 1 egg, a can of tunafish. Plenty of instant coffee and teas. A few packs of instant soups. Some bread left.

I do have condiments - con-dementia! Ketchup, soy sauce (2 flavors), salt, pepper. 

I think about the homeless on the streets of New York, LA, or in Honolulu where I met "them" often in the Salvation Army and hanging outside the 7-11s. Instead of giving money when begged, I bought food and drink for those that asked for support. A ham sandwich and a can of coffee, maybe some chips on the side. Those few I may have helped for another day did seem grateful.

So what do we need "when all is said and done?" Like the meals I put together from forays to fresh markets, groceries and convenience stores, I crave variety. I like tasting something new. Though here in Thailand, it's usually spicy.

My mouth may say yes, but my stomach and intestines say no. No chilis, please.

There are staples that I find myself returning to every time - eggs, milk, bread, coffee. Maybe a few veggies for a salad or an onion or cauliflower or broccoli soup. I have become a pretty good soup maker. Maybe some fresh or frozen fruit - the beauty of living in the tropics.

What do you eat? What meal plan would you design for an astronaut or submarine soldiers? How about months at sea? Or "Surprise, surprise!" someone caught up in a disaster, natural or manmade?

What do they eat? What do they NEED to eat?


Copyright 2023, TF (teviothome@gmail.com)

No comments: